[COLUMN] 1988 From big freighter to small freighter: Aerospatiale SN-601 Corvette EC-DYE Drenair

Pictures and stories from Maastricht Airport in the early years.
Guido
MST-Aviation Member

[COLUMN] 1988 From big freighter to small freighter: Aerospatiale SN-601 Corvette EC-DYE Drenair

Postby Guido » 07 Oct 2017, 17:31

Once the singing legend Prince had a song called "Little Red Corvette". Now, little she is, the Aérospatiale SN 601 Corvette. But I'm sure Prince had something else in mind instead of an airplane.
Yes, the Spanish airline Drenair had a fleet of small aircraft, doing business charters, but they also had freighters in the fleet using Gulfstream 1's for that. Their only SN-601 Corvette was initially in use as bizzjet, but by removing the interior they could use it also as a freighter.
Drenair was one of the airliners hauling freight for XP Express Parcel Systems in the late Eighties. Normally the Corvette was only in at MST by night, while operating the route LEMD-EHBK-LEMD for XP and Emery, who cooperated together at Maastricht. The chance to see the nightguys during the day was almost zero, unless fog made a disaster of the flightschedules. And the period Christmas gave a posibilty to see them hanging around for the weekend at MST as it was an extremely busy period for the couriers.
So on a cold late November Sunday afternoon I catched this little jetfreighter SN-601 EC-DYE of Drenair while resting at the C-apron.

hakramh
MST-Aviation Member

Re: [COLUMN] 1988 From big freighter to small freighter: Aerospatiale SN-601 Corvette EC-DYE Drenair

Postby hakramh » 10 Oct 2017, 19:24

Hello Guido,
very interesting text and picture. But there must have been at least a second Drenair Corvette because I have a picture of EC-DUE taken in 1988 at MST (btw one of only two Corvette photos in my collection!)
Greetings,
Hannu

Guido
MST-Aviation Member

Re: [COLUMN] 1988 From big freighter to small freighter: Aerospatiale SN-601 Corvette EC-DYE Drenair

Postby Guido » 10 Oct 2017, 20:33

hakramh wrote:Hello Guido,
very interesting text and picture. But there must have been at least a second Drenair Corvette because I have a picture of EC-DUE taken in 1988 at MST (btw one of only two Corvette photos in my collection!)
Greetings,
Hannu

Hi Hannu.
The source I took the info from said Drenair had 2 jets and several Gulfstream 1's. The other jet was not a Corvette. Right now I can't remember what kind of type that was.

Thanks for the correction! :)

HansAir
MST-Aviation Member

Postby HansAir » 10 Oct 2017, 21:03

hakramh wrote:Hello Guido,
Greetings,
Hannu

According to airlinerlist EC-DUE was c/n 30 and flew for Drenair, but this list has no EC-DYE. However, JetPhotos has a picture of EC-DYE in Drenair livery and mentoions it as being c/n 31.

Return to “MST-Aviation Column”